The Perfectionism Trap

Those of you out there who happen to be perfectionists understand the paradox that is perfectionism.  We want things to be done so right, so perfectly that we are often unable to complete anything because its just impossible.  We procrastinate because we never have the time to do things the way they need to be done.  "Good enough" is not something we're happy with.

So, those of you who don't deal with this tendancy might wonder why my house is a mess, why the yard is horrific and why I can't seem to maintain any sort of routine.  It's just that everything I do is "all or nothing." I have a real hard time just wiping things down and staying ahead of everything because every time I think about doing a better job on the house it results in elaborate charts and systems and plans and schedules that take longer to understand than just doing the work.

It's the same thing with exercising--I did it again, right here on this blog for you to all witness. I decide to get fit, lose the weight, and firm up ALL at once.  I set myself up for failure so I have an excuse to quit.  If I can't maintain the "perfect" workout schedule, I may as well quit, right?  I already missed a day, so it's all over and I may as well stay out of shape and flabby.

The 30/300 ab challenge looks remarkable and I hope to return to it someday when I'm a little further along in my fittness journey. For now, I'm going to concentrate on my diet plan and losing some weight and working on my cardiovascular fitness by using the Couch to 5K program.  Wish me luck!

Comments

The Hanson's said…
Kristy- I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Will you do this for me?

A whiny, self-indulgent, emotional post

"Look kids, Big Ben!"