I'm Back!!



Well, just over seven years have passed since you’ve heard from me. That’s a long, long time. I’m not the same person I was when I last wrote. Our family is not the same family that is was when I last wrote.

Seven years is simply too much to update you on, so in this post I’m simply going to introduce us as if we’ve never met and we can go from there. I’m going to give it my all to blog a little more often even if the only purpose it serves is to create a chronicle of our lives for me to look back on someday.

  

It’s kinda odd, this blog could be so many things. An adoptive family blog, a special needs family blog, a sports family blog, a multi-generational home blog…the list goes on. But it’s none of those in exclusivity. It’s exactly what the title says. It’s a blog about us living the life we imagined…leaving behind no regrets, no chance untaken, no what if’s. Even if they all don’t turn out the way we planned, we take the chances and live the lives we imagined.




So, when I left you over 7 years ago, we were in China. We were excitedly preparing for our princess, Meili. Since that’s where we left you, it’s a good place to update you.



Meili came home in September of 2014 at the age of 3. Because I am and always have been transparent about our adoptions, yes, we knew Meili had challenges when we chose to adopt her. They told us she was brain damaged—she’s not. She has a very rare genetic condition, 22q13, often called Phelan McDermid syndrome. She is also autistic, largely non-verbal, intellectually delayed and has some physical limitations. She is also super happy, super smart in many practical ways, and so beautiful we can’t get our heads around it. She loves her baby dolls, her footballs, playing basketball and swimming in the pool or at the beach and she LOVES food. She’s not afraid of roller coasters and loves to snuggle at night.







Meili Ilene Yeru Pawlak will start middle school next year. She will wow them all with her humor, her beauty and her skills. She will master her talking device and learn new social skills. She will do amazing things!





Working up through the family update is Blaise! We last left him cartwheeling on the Great Wall. He hasn’t stopped tumbling and is now an accomplished competitive gymnast. He loves computers and plans to be a computer hardware engineer. He has made wonderful friends and makes us proud daily. We continually hear from his friends’ parents how he’s willing to stand up for the underdog; how’s he’s always a friend in a time of need. He will enter Kingwood High School next year and we cannot wait to see what his high school years hold.




Next up, Brooks! That tiny nine year old from when I last wrote is now driving his own car around town. His life revolves around golf and he is dedicating this year to making big decisions about his future. Will it be golf? Will it be medical school? The world is his oyster and we cannot wait to see what happens in the next couple of years.

Chris is still happily employed by the VA Medical System here in Houston where he is the administrator for all of the outpatient clinics.




I made a major life change a few years ago and became a Realtor. I have been blessed to have successes such as being named Rookie of the Year and serving on the Agent Leadership Council. I continue to learn and grow everyday. I have recently launched a community initiative website www.TheFacesofKingwood.com to celebrate the diverse and unique individuals who make up our community.




And that about sums up the last 7 years. I will make a valiant effort to post more often about topics that truly make this life “The Life We Imagine”. I hope you’ll enjoy being along for the ride.




Comments

Unknown said…
Oh yay! I love this; I’ll be reading and keeping up with the the Pawlak’s!
Unknown said…
Didn’t realize it would leave my comment as “unknown”. It me, Jeanne 😁

Popular posts from this blog

Will you do this for me?

A whiny, self-indulgent, emotional post

"Look kids, Big Ben!"